The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Saturday, October 21

Cardinal Seán's Private Masses

From today's post at Cardinal Seán’s Blog, an excerpt of his response to a question someone had about the (possible) loosening of the restrictions upon the Traditional Latin Mass by the Holy Father:

"It’s not a question of anyone being obliged to celebrate the “old” Mass. As far as the language is concerned, the “new” Mass can be celebrated in Latin without permission. As a matter of fact, when I was first ordained, if we celebrated Mass alone, we were supposed to celebrate it in Latin. I still follow that custom. The idea being that the vernacular was allowed for pastoral reasons for the people."

(my emphasis)

A few interesting tidbits in the latest post by Cardinal O'Malley of Boston on his (awesome) new blog. I was glad to see him give such a careful treatment of the underlying assumption that Latin was only part of the "Old Mass" and is now forbidden after Vatican II - wrong! Vatican II wanted Latin to maintain pride of place, and only offered the possibility that the Mass MIGHT be celebrated in the vernacular. But I don't need to cover this ground again, if you've come here before, you know what I feel about this issue!

What I was more interested in personally was to hear Cardinal O'Malley say that when he was ordained he was told to say the Mass in Latin if he was alone - I wonder when he was ordained, and if this was something that had to do with his status as a religious priest (Capuchin Franciscan, for the record - the same order as St. Padre Pio). I have never heard of such a requirement before, but I like it! I also like it that the Cardinal, by his own admission, is maintaining that tradition, which I guess means that the Cardinal says his private Masses in the universal language of the Roman Catholic Church - Latin. Sweet.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home