The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Monday, July 10


When I came down to the basilica on Saturday evening for Vespers, there were a bunch of people out in the square working really hard on something... when I went over to investigate, I realized that they were creating beautiful petal artwork for the feast day procession on Sunday! The biggest and most elaborate design was this one, of the Last Supper. They have a whole method to this art, they put down a large template first, and then arrange boxes of petals behind them in order of color. I couldn't figure out how exactly they were sticking the petals on, but as they went the design was sprinkled with water to keep things put. Not sure what happened all night long, perhaps they worked through the night, or maybe there was just one guy there with a hose all night making sure things didn't get blown away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home