The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Monday, July 10

Do you want to go to Rome... Now?

I just got this e-mail from a fellow looking for some last-minute additions to their Catholic tour group leaving for Italy in just a week and a half...

I sure don't know that I would want to be in Rome in the middle of July, but hey... It does sound like a really good tour (no Pope notwithstanding - actually that would help, less crowds possibly and no "loss" of an entire Wednesday hanging out in the heat of St. Peter's square).

Accept the invitation at your own risk, I have no personal knowledge of this company. But, thought I could pass it along. Just in case.

I am trying to find a few people to join a pilgrimage I have
leaving for Rome in just a week and a half. Very last minute, I know. I just had a family drop out and really need to fill the spots.

We are traveling with two priests. Fr. Kevin Peek and Fr. Augustine Tran. Both very pious and very well known in the Atlanta area. It's actually Fr. Peek's trip and Fr. Augustine is joining us. Fr. Augustine went to the NAC and lived in Rome for four years.

Here are the details:
Rome and Assisi
July 20 - 27, 2006
$2,299 from Atlanta

The price includes air, hotel, ground transportation, breakfast and dinner daily plus one lunch, all entry and guide fees and tips. No hidden fees. People are responsible for lunch and anything they want to do on their own, that's it.

This is the first in a series of tours led by Fr. Kevin Peek to follow in the footsteps of our Fathers.

Highlights:
Mass in the Vatican Grottos, Catacombs, St. Mary Major, St. John
Lateran (Rome). Porziuncola and Tomb of St. Francis (Assisi).
Scavi Tour.
Vatican Tour.
Ancient Rome Tour (Colosseum, Mamertine Prison, Pantheon)
All four major basilicas plus San Pietro in Vincoli and Santa Croce in Gerusalemme.
Small group, about 15 people, mostly young adults.

Lowlights:
No Pope, he's on vacation.

Full itinerary and details here: http://thecatholictraveler.com/072006.html

I travel differently than most other tour companies. I want the travelers to be experience the culture rather than see it from a bus.

A few things about my tours:
I prefer to travel in small groups of 25 and under.
I stay in family owned hotels and eat in family owned restaurants.
I use local guides when possible. Some sights are best explained by a passionate local.
I encourage the group to travel as temporary locals and get out and explore on their own.
When it makes sense I try to sleep at least two nights in a city to avoid those dreaded back to back one night stays that can ruin a trip.
And, of course, we celebrate Mass daily.

Thank you and God Bless,
Mountain Butorac
404.547.0270

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home