The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Monday, May 8

500 years of the snazziest uniforms on the planet!


On May 6th, the Vatican celebrated 500 years of the establishment of the Swiss Guards.

Cool events had been going on all last week, but for various reasons I was only able to attend the swearing-in ceremony for the new Swiss Guard recruits on Saturday afternoon - that, however, was way cool and I'm really excited that I was able to see it! Usually, every year it is a closed ceremony, held inside the Vatican grounds from what I understand, so this was a very special opportunity. If you missed it, you'll have to wait another 500 years I guess. Or you can just look at all these awesome photos and call it good... :)

(Also - check out the Vatican's 500th Anniversary of the Swiss Guards page, only in Italian though - but very nice looking with lots of fun pictures!)

1 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The uniform was redesigned in the last century, in 1922 if I am not mistaken.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home