The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Wednesday, February 8

We are not alone...

The day has arrived - the new students are here, all safe and sound, all 21 of them (plus the three of us who were here already from last semester = 24!).

Thus begins another chapter (more like Part II actually) of my life in Rome, and therefore of this blog!

And can you believe it, I didn't have my camera (I can hear the gasps). :)

Oh yeah, and my finals are done. I have a bit over a week off now! Yay! I'm planning on playing tourist all over again. Februrary is really the best time of the year in Rome I think - the weather is a little chilly, but sunny mostly and there are NO TOURISTS, or their "tour groups"! The only thing is that this is the season when the American students descend upon Rome for the spring semester, so you still hear English all over the place...

So - my plans are to go to a few places that I haven't been to yet in the next week (in no particular order):

1) The Jesu. (yeah, I know, close the hanging mouths, I don't know how I haven't made it there yet either!)

2) The Quo Vadis church. (This one has been elusive, I've driven PAST the church only about 6 times now, but for various reasons I have never been able to actually GO to the church yet. I intend to fix this.)

3) St. Lawrence Outside the Walls. (Where Lawrence and a few others are buried, near the big cemetary that is worth seeing as well I hear.)

4) Santa Sabina's, the "main" Dominican church here. yeah, this one is, to me, the most glaring omission, me being a natural born Dominican!)

5) Orvieto, town with the famed Eucharistic Miracle, and where Thomas Aquinas wrote the office of the feast day (I've been meaning to take a day trip out here for ages...)

6) Nettuno, town of St. Maria Goretti (there were not just one, but two trips - at least - out to Nettuno this past semester... I didn't go on either of them. Drat! Another day trip!)

So - stay tuned!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YEAH!!! I can't wait to see pictures of all the trips you have planned. Of course, I live vicariously through your adventures around Italy.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry about all the Laundry. Hope that it was not to difficult. I will be sending all of you an email hopefully this weekend. It has been crazy busy here, but wow, what an amazing place to be.

     
  • At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can one really buy manna, yes, the biblical "bread of heaven" at Ai Monasteri, a monastic produce store (est. c.1890s) at Corso del Rinascimento 72. A friend of mine in Rome is too embarassed to ask in the store, lest he be mistaken for a fruitcake!

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger Andrew Bloomfield said…

    Actually, my mouth was hanging open at a few of those you mentioned. I certainly do miss the days there -- thankfully I'm leading a pilgrimage back there in October. I suspect you'll already be back stateside, however.

    I'll send an e-mail request for current inside tips and info! Thanks, and be assured of my prayers for your new semester.

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful site! My wife and I read it every few days and wish we were there! It would be great if they offered something like this for adults. What type of camera do you use? We hope to visit Rome again and admire all of your shots and narrative. God Bless and keep the Faith!
    Mark & Stephanie
    Wichita, Kansas

     

Post a Comment

<< Home