The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Saturday, December 17

Alma Redemptoris Mater

Being that we are in the heart of the Advent, when the Marian Antiphon for the season is the Alma Redemptoris Mater, it seems fitting that today we had the opportunity to go visit the Redemptoris Mater chapel in the papal palace.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I think of it. I understand the intention behind it, but it just seems to me like it's trying too hard to be both "ancient" and "modern"... I don't think it helps that the original design work with an Eastern Orthodox priest was cut short - the resulting difference between that wall's mosaic and the rest of the mosaic design is a bit disconcerting to me. At the same time there were parts of it that I did like a great deal.

Well, I guess I'll let the photos speak for themselves... and I suggest you also take a look at the Vatican's Redemptoris Mater chapel online tour.

After seeing it though, I do have one burning question - what does *Benedict* think of this chapel design? (Guess I'll never know the answer to that question...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home