The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Saturday, August 27

On my way out of Austria

I found a wireless access point, so I will be posting some photos in a moment. Tonight I leave Austria for Paris, where a friend of Caroline's is going to host me for a few nights, before I go on to Caroline's home in Nantes. Then I will be home for a couple of weeks, thank goodness!

Yesterday was splendid, I went to the Spanish Riding School in the morning to see the horses' daily practice in the baroque riding hall - beautiful! The horses were in fine form, and just as I always dreamed of them! Afterwards I took a tour of the school and stables, my allergies were not too happy about it, but I ignored them... it was worth it to see "my" horses, the reason why I wanted to go to Vienna long ago (of course, now that I have seen Vienna I realize that there is MUCH more here that I love and want to come back some day to see!).

I spent much of the later day wandering around the Vienna city center, as I have continued to do today. I took a break to go "home" for lunch, and it was delicious again (as usual here in Austria... good thing I am not here for very long, I would definitely gain a few pounds!) - the religious order has their own "Katherine" (the cook at the St. Paul Cathedral, for those who don't know her :) and she has been stuffing my face with good things all week. Austria is definitely the place for both meat & potatoes kinds of people, and people with a sweet-tooth!! Their pastries and cakes are to die for, a couple of days ago I found myself next to Demel, a world-famous cake and pastry shop - I couldn't resist, and boy was it worth it!

Anyway, the wireless connection is a bit expensive here, and I still want to get photos up, so I will leave you now... hopefully more to come from my adventures in France, though I find it hard to believe that I could like France as much as I have loved Vienna - the cleaner version of Rome!

I sent a few postcards out today, I am curious to know how long it takes to get to you - if you get one, please e-mail me how long it took. (Sorry that I cannot send more postcards, it is very expensive to send them to America I discovered, so I will rely mostly on this blog!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home