The Roamin' Roman

Benvenuto! You have happened upon the blog of a wandering Catholic American college student studying for a year in Rome, the Eternal City. You will find here my pontifications, ruminations, reflections, images, and ponderings on my life in Rome. Ciao!

Saturday, April 22

The Code is nearly upon us. Whaddya gonna do about it?

I just stumbled into Barb Nicolosi's latest DaVinci Code post, and as I just saw A) an Italian reading "Il Codice Da Vinci" and B) a Roman church with a DVC movie poster hanging on it! - I guess I can get away with linking to this as being pertinant to my Roman experience.

Barb's overview of the purpose and success of DVC is sharp as a tack, but at least it gets to the point:

And now The Da Vinci Code comes along to sheepish ears that are primed and ready to be told that holiness is impossible. And that is why this damn book is a success. It says to people, "If Jesus was a sham, then anything is permissible." (Ref. "You shall be like gods!")

And don't buy into the whole "but this opens up dialogue for you Christians!" rallying cry:

I have heard several fellow Christians make the claim that DVC DVC is "a great opportunity for evangelism." 'Hmmm... Evangelism. I don't think you know what that word means.' The climate of evangelism is not consistent with a posture of defiance and cynicism. Is slander an opportunity? Is angry superiority an opportunity? DVC represents all the "opportunity" that the Roman persecutions offered the early Church. Rah.

So what's a Christian who loves her Savior to do? Barb's suggestion:

Othercott DVC on May 19th. Go see Over the Hedge instead. And pray for everyone associated who is dancing with the devil through this movie.

Go for it, America. As for us here in Italy, I haven't even checked to see when The Movie is going to be released here... I can only hope "Over the Hedge" will be released here too at the same time as DVC!

Read it all at Church of the Masses: My DVC rant

1 Comments:

  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger PV said…

    A young friend who is a bit of a rebel has a different idea about the movie: she wants to go see it here in Germany, laugh and make ironic remarks .:-).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home